> >From what I understand, a floppy disk image is placed in a special
> location on the disc.  The system BIOS is able to read that section of
> the CD and load it into memory.  If you burn the floppy image directly
> to a CD, it is no longer what I would call a `true' CD.  It doesn't
> follow any of the standards at all and wouldn't be recognizeable as a CD
> by anything trying to read it.  You wouldn't be able to put anything
> else on the CD (well, I suppose you could read it back with `dd', but
> that's a suboptimal option).  Also, as it would (at most) only the boot
> block of the floppy image would be read, you wouldn't be able to boot
> off of it.

Linux should read it. CDROM, HD partition, floppy, same diff as far as
Linux is concerned. ;)

Have yet to mess with it myself, but a bootable CD is just a floppy disk
image on the ISO filesystem with some magic pointer pointing to it.
There's also some boot catalog file you have to have but I don't
understand what it actually does... Go RTFM on making bootable CDs. :P