... from the mkisofs man page.  The '-b' option specifies the boot image and it
says here what the allowable boot image sizes are.  I forget the exact error
message, but it definately did not like 1.7 meg boot floppy images.

      -b eltorito_boot_image
              Specifies  the  path and filename of the boot image
              to be used when making an "El Torito" bootable  CD.
              The  pathname  must  be relative to the source path
              specified to mkisofs.  This option is  required  to
              make  an  "El  Torito" bootable CD.  The boot image
              must be exactly the size of either a 1.2, 1.44,  or
              a  2.88  meg floppy, and mkisofs will use this size
              when creating the output iso9660 filesystem. It  is
              assumed  that  the  first 512 byte sector should be
              read from the boot image (it is essentially emulat­
              ing  a  normal  floppy drive).  This will work, for
              example, if the boot image is  a  LILO  based  boot
              floppy.

Charles Clifton Fulton wrote:

> You don't want to use mkisofs on the file if you are trying to make a
> bootable CD.  Just burn the floppy image directly.
>
> I don't see why mkisofs would choke on it though.  It should be just
> another file, but I haven't tried with odd sizes.  What does mkisofs say?
>
> Charlie
>
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, John Hawley wrote:
>
> > jrsmit2 at uswest.com wrote:
> >

> > > So you need to make a bootable floppy (you can even do a 2.88 meg floppy if
> > > you've got one) image and write that to the cdrom.
> > >

> > A lot of the cool bootable recovery floppys use the 1.7M format which if you
> > use as the image to dd, mkisofs chokes on.  :(
> > Or does anyone know if a newer version does accept this?

John Hawley
Network Administrator
IT Services // BGEA
612.335.1334 <=> jhawley at bgea.org